Saturday, July 11, 2015

Steganography (using OpenPuff v4.0)

Steganography is the process of hiding a message in a medium such as a digital image, audio file, or other file. In theory, doing this prevents analysts from detecting the real message. You could encode your message in another file or message and use that file to hide your message.

It is also possible to hide data in audio files, video files, or literally any digital file type. There are even programs available on the web for doing steganography. An example would be OpenPuff, which is a Windows-based freeware and my network security hero, Keith Barker, has a cool video that demonstrates this tool. I also did a quick steganography lab to hide a text file (Top Secret) into a JPEG file (Gorilla).


To use OpenPuff in order to hide files, I've used the following steps:
 
(1) First,click on Hide and uncheck Enable (B) and (C) in order to use a single encryption password (Cryptography A). I'ev used S3cr3tk3y! as my complex cryptography password.



(2) Next, I selected the file to hide (Top Secret.txt) by clicking on Browse.


(3) I chose a Carrier file to be used which is Gorilla.jpg and clicking on Add.

(4) Bit selection is optional and it specifies the strength of the encryption to be used.


(5) Last but not the least is to hide the data by clicking on Hide Data! and specify the folder/directory for the encrypted file. I just chose my Desktop to quickly find the output file. You wouldn't see any difference between the original and carrier file except for the file size.




No comments:

Post a Comment